Thursday, January 17, 2013

Family Scripture for the year....

We just finished a series in Legacy called JUMP: a faith so wild it will make you never look back. It was about overcoming the things that consume you from the past, pushing past the things that control your present, and getting rid of the things that are going to stop your future. At the beginning I read Isaiah 61 because I truly feel like that is the destiny that God has called each of us to... the purpose we are on this earth for. I've started reading this over my kids every morning... sometimes they listen, sometimes they don't... but I want them to get so sick of it that it makes it's way down to their little hearts.

As a family, find a scripture that you feel your kids need to grasp, and bombard them with it... write it around your house, speak it while in the car, make up a cute song to it that you sing over and over. My dad did that when we were growing up with Psalm 91 and Proverbs 3 and to this day I have both of those chapters memorized!

You may also consider making a family vision board for the year. I have a friend who makes some incredible ones and is in town for 2 weeks taking special orders... if you are interested, then please comment here for more information or email me. Here is the one he made for his family last year. He can make it any size you would like it and write anything on it that's important to you.
 
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/486356_10151398731573156_2116025915_n.jpg

Our family scripture for 2013:
Isaiah 61:1-3
The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me because the Lord has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn, and provide for those who grieve in Zion—to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of joy instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the Lord for the display of his splendor.
To proclaim Liberty to the captives - Isaiah 61:1. Designed by Joseph Alessio. Available as a print here.

No comments: